Monday, June 22, 2015

Installing the Kimberly, Part 3: Framing the Cathedral Ceiling Box

So, today we installed the frame for the chimney hole. It was actually pretty straight forward, but required one of the more complicated wood cuts I've done so far. 


I know, it's not actually that complicated, but dammit, I made it from scratch, and I made it the right size, and it fit perfectly the first time. 


Here's Sam demonstrating how great it fits. It actually didn't have to fit perfectly the first time since I made it out of scrap lumber we had in the barn that was really weathered a little bit rotting away. Once we had the cut figured out, we had to go to Home Depot and get a 2x10 board and recreate the piece with that. But still. It fit right the first time (and the first time with the real wood), and I'm proud of it.


Here's our cathedral ceiling box, sitting nice and pretty in the hole we made for it. We had to take it out again because it's not time to install it yet, but it's good to know that it fits just fine and is in the right place.

No comments:

Post a Comment